Hot and humid air stings me outside the house. The town.. is the sort of town that you'd expect in any less-developed country, and less. I mean, this isn't the place to go in search of shopping malls and other flashy modern civilisation gadgets in which you can still find in the city of Jakarta. I haven't been to the actual city.. I'm scheduled to visit it tomorrow morning. To describe the town at it's best.. it is grouped into concentrated traditional market regions.. with huts and minimum cement floor. One of the things that I was amazed at is the attitude of the population. I happened to let myself go for a bit of a walk in one of the markets, of course with the company of the usefully known senegalais who happens to be my dad's driver. Everywhere I turned, everytime I made any sort of eye contact with any of the people, a smile would appear, followed by a clear greeting.
A panoramic view is just around the corner: the North Atlantic ocean. I'm having trouble in describing it.. I dunno, I guess it was just too beautiful and seemed so precious! Nothing was in sight of ruining the view- it's so opened, so vast and spacious, so clear.. If it was a person, it is as if feeling that you know him so well, yet feeling nothing at the same time. You are proud that he has faith in you and trusts you- but you feel so afraid and useless about it. I heard once that the ocean/sea co-relates with a sensitive and romantic personality, but I don't think that's true. The sea is also deep, dark, mysterious, intangible, deadly.. and many other negative images are easily conjured simply by the word "sea". I understand that it depends majorly on each subjective viewpoints, but everytime someone asks me whether I like the sea, or how I feel about it (in relation with some kind of cheap test made to 'understand' personalities), it makes me wonder on the option I really have to answering the question-
Wednesday, June 30, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment