Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Promise

Today started off disappointingly when I figured that making a long-distance call demands for a great amount of luck & effort on our side. I stubbornly woke up later than I had promised, and I hopelessly pressed the destinated phone number to see whether luck was on my side. And it turned out she wasn't :'(

Promise: A declaration assuring that one will or will not do something; a vow.
(dictionary.com)

I've never been taught to see promises as something light. That's probably why I try to avoid it everytime I can. I would try to casually go around my point and use weak, pointless, and/or empty words, to blur my declaration (i.e. "maybe..", "I guess I will..", etc.). And when I do finally make one, with all my heart I wish to fulfill it.

Obviously, like today, I don't always make it. This image of not 'filling' the empty glass comes to mind-- the glass is drying out. So is the promise.

Sometimes certain conditions won't let you keep control of situations. I guess one can argue that it is the very reason why you shouldn't make promises. I, on the other hand, try to source out and find a different definition for promise. A strong will of the heart, purposely declared to beckon others' assurance, conditioned by external unknown factors.
To recuperate my point in bold: a conditioned will. Con-di-tioned. Therefore when a promise is broken, it doesn't necessarily equal to lie.

I understand that now, more than just to justify my failure of the promise I made to call, ofcourse ;D

In the afternoon, I went to meet two friends and didn't know what exactly to expect when one of them came with a soccer ball. Haha, yes for those who know me it's completely a "hein? mia and soccer? It's so not together." And you're right buddies, because my upper stomach certainly didn't appreciate the ball when it tried to kick through -_-; Went to watch Serenity after... didn't enjoy it very much though...

No comments: