I'm broke. Was, actually.
I walked around Paris with no more than a few 20 centiemes in my porte-monnaie. I suppose I could still buy a plain baguette for 38 centiemes, but other than that-- it isn't much. Of course, my parents would be horrored at the thought that their daughter wouldn't have the -just-in-case- money- of more than 20 euros in the pocket. But hey, walking without money proved to be quite fun :)
I'm a hard person to tempt. I could see, for example, a state-of-the-art gadget and find at least 5 different reasons why I wouldn't need it. Those are quite fundamental reasons, too. Besides, I am afterall a student, and living in Paris is already a priviledge on it's own. It's expensive living here, I'll tell you that.
The French TVA (value added tax) is 9.6%, which means that everytime you spend your euro in France, a little less than 10% of the price goes to the government. Whereas for those who earn salaries, social benefits (i.e. unemployment and social security) and income tax account for 33% of your salary. It's huge.
Anyway, back to me being broke. Well in fact, I never was broke. Deep inside me I was always assured that I have something to take out from the bank by just punching a 4 digit code from any ATM. So I guess it's true what one of my cousins told me as a synical comment on another cousin of mine who is a total idealist, "[dia] gak pernah tau rasanya gak bisa makan soalnya" (he never knew how it feels to not be able to eat).
She's right. He doesn't. Neither do I.
Sunday, December 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment