An orientation meeting was held today at school. It has been two days that, for whatever reason, I arrived just in time. Believe me, I really mean it. For example today, I reached Pt. Dauphine metro station at 14.56 (my watch). Took speed and sprinted to the building which I'm afraid is not as near as EaB from Victor Hugo :-( I finally arrived at 14.59 and that seemed pretty bad since I don't know my way around the building. Thank God that resolved quickly, met a senior and just tagged behind.
Glad to say I wasn't the last student to enter the room. The senior was. :-P
It was a nice and cozy room. I sat beside the window to stick myself as close as possible to the nearest emblem for "freedom." Blablabla, administration and school function were explained in details, each of us presenting ourselves quickly and closed the meeting with Galette Des Rois!
In France the tradition of serving this frangipane filled tart can be traced back to the 14th century. A small bean, coin or porcelain fève is baked inside the cake and whoever recieves the little favor is then crowned king/queen for the day. Tradition also dictates that the cake be cut into as many slices as there are people present, plus 1 extra. The extra piece is called either, part du Bon Dieu(God's piece), part de la Vierge (the Virgin Mary's piece) or part du pauvre (poor man's piece) and it is given to the first poor person who stops at the home. (Taken from here)
Okay, so because I happened to be the youngest in the group (anyone 85? Yes.. alright, 86?), I had to cut the tart and degrade my IQ by 5 points since the knife didn't like me (no comments needed, thank you).
Remember the porcelaine and the king/queen thing? Yes, well call it madness because I happened to be the one that had it in my tart. So I had to choose my king. Aaargh.
Overall, I really had a nice experience. At least now people would always have something to trigger a conversation after dully asking my name, like : from Indonesia? Are your families alright after the tsunami?
The whole International Student Club was also friendly. I don't know if it's just because we're new, but I don't normally care actually. Hmm the ambiance! It's just wonderful and scary together in a bowl and blendered for half an hour and served. A professional approach, no longer separating what is needed and what is wanted, since you know that every extra soul you get into contact with will be your advantage. Connection is what gets you around, apart from your personality and brain. In a sense, this phenomenon is cruel, but I know that this is the big world that awaits for me to plunge into in just the next couple of years. This is my practice field. University is people's practice field.
Before getting to know people in school, I went shopping again with a friend. Got nearly everything for school now (haha.. for school? Oh please...), I just got to have the brain now, and yes Gi, I can buy it from eBay -__-" Ckck.. brilliant idea! What would I do without you ;-)
And Gi, remember what I wrote on my blog on my bday? Yup, I told you I'll change for the better- and well, I only hope that what I did is only the beginning of it *winks*
Friday, January 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment