Thursday, December 30, 2004

Gege Mengejar Cinta

Aku telah selesai membaca "Gege Mengejar Cinta" karya Adhitya Mulya. Terus terang, aku kurang bisa menkomparasi antar buku bestseller yang telah dihasilkan orang berbeda, namun untuk yang satu ini, aku merasa lebih bebas berkomentar karena "Jomblo" merupakan karya perdana orang yang sama.

Writing style has not changed in any significant way, which can serve as a signature and a default in a more literary sense. But this was what we expected, and well, we got served.
So is it a comedy? Personally I am amazed at the way he writes, creating images that is so fun and light, smart, and so Indonesian. The concept of female perfection is yet again emphasised in his second novel. Everything we can expect from his first novel was there, except one. Ironically, it didn't make me laugh. Sure, a smile appeared every now and then, but it wasn't thanks to the plot, but merely the way he writes, which is -again- so Indonesian.

Yes, so that was missing for me. There wasn't that ticklish feeling vaporising in my stomach, unlike "Jomblo" which every time I turned a page I was amazed at the new details and images I find sprinting in my head.

The story line was what you can call heart-catching, since the female brain was illiterally cut in half and throughly analysed by -mind you- a male writer. So that was a good job.
The story was divided into two. The "real" world and Gege's broadcasting script on the radio. This technique is done in order to transmit a more fictional image to what the readers would imagine. To entertain, and at the same time building a sense of eager in one's mind to continue reading. Separating two worlds in a fiction world, which will then be brought together at climax.
What was infact the climax? The chasing scene at the airport, obviously. However I am afraid that my image box wasn't absorbing a lot from the printed words by this stage, and I felt everything stumbled altogether creating such a chaotic scene. Hard to follow and too chaotic to even try understanding.

The ending was what I wished, and was infact the solution for each problem there was.
In short, in was a nice reading, but the chaos was beyond me.

No comments: